Let’s Give This Suckitudinal Year the Kiss-Off It Deserves
I’m a list maker from way back. One might even say it’s a birthright. It’s a great way to keep from forgetting things, get things done, evaluate decisions and, sometimes, just dump things out of your head and off your back.
If ever there was a year to get out of our heads and off our backs, it’s 2020. I mean, seriously, how has this year SUCKED? Let us count the ways.
I’m putting together a decidedly atypical best/worst of the year list that will give 2020, a year no-one will want to remember but we’ll never be able to forget, the kiss-off it deserves. I’ll rank responses for each category – suggestions plus at least brief explanations, please – and present them all in series of forthcoming posts. Your suggestions can be from your personal life, professional life, news, current events… you name it. Feel free to submit more than one per category, or if you don’t have something for a category, skip it.
By the way, I’ll consider it 2020-LEVEL SUCKITUDE if no-one submits anything and I have to do it alone (guilt trip). Please don’t leave me hanging…
So, without further ado, here are the categories for the IV Words 2020 List of Lists:
The X (fill in the blank) of the Year was … Y, and here’s why I think so.
2. Overused Phrase/Slang Term
3. Embarrassing Moment – Yours or Someone Else’s
4. Idea/Policy Proposal
8. Advocacy Group/Movement
11. Dumbest/Coolest Thing by a Friend or Acquaintance, Colleague, Family Member, Friend or Neighbor (I will change names to protect the innocent and guilty, or you can tell me to withhold yours so they won’t know who’s responsible. So, yeah, go ahead, rat them out.)
14. International Leader
15. Meme/TikTok/Social Media Post
16. Bonehead Move
18. Shelter-in-Place Pastime
20. Non-Covid-Related Tragedy/Triumph